Sunday, April 1, 2012

Faux Fur - Yes or No?

So, here's the thing. I found this jacket:

Totally me, right? I would rock that coat. Huge, red, fluffy, I would feel like a rockstar in it and it would be lots of fun to wear.

But it's fur. Faux fur.. but fur.

Why would I quibble over that? I'm not sure.  Here's what's in my head about it:


I eat meat, and I have no problem at all with that. I like to eat meat that's sourced from ethical places, where I know the animals were happy in their lives and slaughtered with respect. I don't think raising animals for food is intrinsically wrong.

I've had no problem wearing real fur in the past when I have known the source - a friend with a rabbit farm, for instance. I know those rabbits had a happy hoppy life before they were respectfully culled for their meat, and to throw away the skins over a quibble seemed wasteful and stupid.

I also saw wearing vintage furs as a lesser evil.. if the animal had been dead longer than I'd been alive, there seemed to me to be more disrespect in tossing it's skin into landfill than wearing it.

I know others feel differently though, and some I have heard people argue that we shouldn't wear faux fur, because it encourages the fur industry, which is cruel.

What do you think? Do you wear fur, real or faux? Do you think others should wear fur, real or fake? Do you think if it's vintage or ethically sourced that makes a difference? Tell me what you think....
My Ping in TotalPing.com